Monday, December 8, 2008

The Joy of Cooking

"This is the most important book I've ever owned," Michael says to me. And I know for a fact that he owns Foucault's History of Sexuality trilogy. "It engages me in a process [...] instead of just suggesting ideas."

Then I remember what Jamil said to me about a year and a half ago, when he first got to town: that poets must be able to bake bread; knowing how to bake bread is knowing how to live and a poet who doesn't know how to live isn't a poet at all.

1 comment:

Michael Espinoza said...

Knowing not how to live is a life with out desire, and therefore not a poetic life, and certainly a life not worth living.

PS: if you don't have it, Joy of Cooking is the best, especially if you're first staring out on a cooking adventure, or if you just want to know the classics. If you want to know the French classics, however, move to France.