Thursday, October 11, 2012

So, the sexuality question...


At first, I wasn't sure what you meant entirely.

But I'm seeing that there's certain cultural norms and contexts that inform our sexualities-- or, that sexuality can't happen in a vacuum. Can it be winnowed down to an essential that is independent of context?

Right now, I don't think so. But... I'm willing to change my mind if I determine that my sexuality is independent of context.

Do you think we were engaging in what you'd call rural sexualities?
How could we classify that?

Celibacy?
Monoamory?
Meets-a-palooza?
Not dating women well?
Craigslist dates?
Whiskey instead of making out?
Sex where there's dirt?
Hooking up with the wrong people?


Remember when I told you I'd never make babies with anyone from Walla Walla because
  1. I don't necessarily want to make babies
  2. the Walla Walla gene pool is a little-- [insert word for "everybody's cousins" here]?

So, sexuality in this context?
It's become more physical for me in certain, mundane ways. I get looked at in the street because I'm brown-haired, blue-eyed, and I don't carry myself like most women here. My clothing is different enough that I stand out, even though I've tried to model my dress after the fashion here.
I wear rings on my Apollo fingers, earrings from Erich, a watch from Nina and Andreas, and a bracelet from my Uncle Phil and Auntie Marianna. This is my regular weight of metal anymore. This has changed the way that I create hand gestures, make explanations, and write. These things about my body certainly impact others' perception of my sexuality, and I believe that they impact my own sense of it.

No comments: