Thursday, October 4, 2012

Is my face original, publishable work?

I ask this question because I'm creating some goals for my "new life." At the top of this list is to be published, in anyway, anywhere. I have been publishing independently and electronically for years, though the most successful blog to date (ithinkourwaiterisdrunk) has only reached around 3500 page views, and I assume that I account for about half of those.

Busted Paper, Oct. 2012
So I came across Busted Paper, a regionally franchised photo publication which takes publicly available information, namely mugshots with corresponding official charges. It looks like a fucked-up yearbook; a name appears below a mugshot then a brief, coded crime. Where you would read "JV Tennis, NHS" in a yearbook, Busted lists, "POSS METH, RECK ENDANGER" or for poor Paris Ryce, "MENACING." So I'm wondering if I can consider Busted to be a potential space for submissions. Can't you see it now? "S. L. Sanchez, INDECNT EXPOSE II, SOLICITATION." The only question is, though it would be a matter of public record, can I also claim that my face is a part of my body of work? It would after all be illegal to use my image to advertise for monetary gain without my consent.

 Yes, I'm sure I can find better, probably easier ways to get published, I'm just gathering my thoughts on my approach. Angle and beat are just as important as style and content in the shrinking world of print media.
Multnomah County Library, Main Branch

Other goals:
Find a community of critical readers
Look at art, attend performances
Run
Community-level social activism
Revive S. L. Sanchez, the writer/social critic
Recognize people on the street, sometimes
Attend high-cultural events i.e. opera, ballet

Last night I attended a tribute performance in honor of the late John Cage's birthday, a rare performance of his landmark minimalist or "New" work Silence (1961), a piece randomly organized by the roll of dice. This performance incorporated found sound objects and dance performance. As with most New music from the area, there is no climax other than that which might be spontaneously created by an act of chance. The dances were technically not coordinated to the music whatsoever, thus creating an atmospheric space rather than a spectacle or a performance in any conventional sense. A lot of the audience tried (though ultimately failed) to view the piece as a performance. It impossible to take in all the dancers at once, since they were strewn about the large, multi-level space. The music gave no indication of progression and the overall effect was atmospheric. I attended this performance, almost quite out of the blue on a Wednesday night, then had drinks with the creators and performers. This kind of shit just don't happen much in Walla Walla.

A Portland Circus on Cage's Silence, featuring Kaj-anne Pepper, far right

No comments: