Thursday, November 20, 2008

Men like me...


An extremely strange person walked into the noodle shop yesterday. His carriage and apperance we alright, maybe a little more dressed up than I usually see for pho, but nothing remarkable. A young man. The strange thing was his behavior. He ordered a lot of food and Saké, was very polite, and sat alone. He asked me if I spoke Japanese. He watched me intently. He told me I work too hard. He tipped too much. He shook my hand before he left.

After he left, I thought about why I found this interraction so jarring, and I came to an unexpected conclusion. He was a man like me, characterized by the following:

•Well dressed
•Polite to strangers
•Asks strange questions
•Acts in-the-know, does not ask practical questions
•Starts conversations with strangers
•Over tips
•Goes to restaurants alone

All unnecessary gestures and postures. Fatally always the outsider.

Here's to this man. The other men like me.

1 comment:

Lindsey Thompson said...

Here Here. I too raise my glass to this man, and to you, my friend. Keep up the good work of being polished and distinguished in a land of tarnish.

Love,
-L-